Friday, October 21, 2011

CMREC Facility

 Here is information about the facility I work at  CMREC Facility.
 People keep asking me what I do at the dairy. The answer is I do many different things on different days. One thing I do everyday is milk cows. The cows need to be milked twice a day and I am there when the second time comes around.
  So when I was in Kindergarten I went on this field trip to Thanksgiving Point and visited the petting zoo. One part of the petting zoo we went into a milking parlor. In the parlor there were machines to milk the cows. People working there explained that cows weren't hand milked anymore and that they were all milked by the machines. I thought that dairy's were so neat and I wanted the chance to work at one later in my life. It's neat that I have the chance to do that now. Dane wants me to get milk into wounds on my hand so I can get Cowpox and be able to fight off smallpox when terrorists help it escape and cause an epidemic:)
  Besides milking I usually help clean the parlor. A few times I have fed the calves. I have helped sort cow's out and bring cow's to the chute. I have now given my first shot. When the Vet came he had me palpate inside a cow. I enjoyed that I only found the cervix  and not the ovaries. It was my first time.
   And then I usually watch as artificial insemination takes place or cow's being given pills or having their hooves bandaged up. I have learned a lot about how the facility is managed. How they clean the barns, how they recycle the manure, how they get the cow's feed. What feed to use for which cow's, how they make the bedding. I am still learning. It has been a lot of fun. I got to see my first live birth.  (I never saw the sheep actually giving birth at USU I always came out when the sheep were already on the ground.) I guess I did see two C-Sections of cloned calves at USU but it didn't come out where it was supposed to. Here I did get to see a cow come out (the people I worked with actually had to help pull it out.)
  Lab today was fun. We got to feel inside a cows rumen. The rumen went a lot deeper than I expected. We then grabbed some of the feed that was in the rumen and squeezed out the liquid from it into a bucket. We then took that liquid and looked at it through a microscope. There were a lot of microbes in it. It was so cool to see them all moving about.  In lab there was also a ruminants (didn't ask what kind of ruminant)  stomach sitting out on the table. It was neat to see in real life what the "honeycomb" shape of the reticulum looked like and the folds of the omasum. Oh yeah for those who don't know cow's have a four chambered stomach the four parts of the stomach are called the rumen, the reticulum, the omasum and the abomasum. The abomasum is what you and I have the "true stomach".

  Last week in lab we looked at the digestive system of a chicken. Even if we were focusing on the digestive tract she showed us the yolks that had been formed in the reproduction part. It was so weird to see all those egg yolks in the body waiting to go down and form a shell. Simply amazing.
  Terp Host is still going well I am liking it more and more. I got a Maryland T-shirt the other day for going the extra mile. That made me pretty excited.
  I am liking the University of Maryland for the most part I just wish my credits would transfer better. Still don't know what to do about those. And I wish they had more maps around campus. Utah State wasn't that big but they had maps everywhere. The University of Maryland is huge and has a lot less maps. I have been lost so many times. Getting the hang of things more and more though.

No comments:

Post a Comment