Monday, October 3, 2011

Good Ol' Land of Mary

 Last week in lab we had to catch chickens, walk horses around and catch sheep. I didn't think it was as fun as the week before. I discovered that I'm kind of scared of chickens that was my first time needing to catch one. Chickens are so weird how they look, behave and their anatomy. I grew up in an urban area so you would see your typical house pets;  dogs, cats etc. In the past few years there has been a trend for our neighbors to get chickens. Apparently chickens are good for yards because they stir the dirt. And my neighbors used them for eggs. I thought it was neat. (A little annoying that we already had a dog, a Poodle which is a "bird hunter"). But I wanted to try it out sometime when I got older. Now I am not so sure...  Leading the horses around was fun to be with the horses but felt like I didn't learn anything new. And the sheep were okay. My first test will be this Wednesday.
  Winter is coming. It is getting cold! And my body does not make very much heat. Below is a picture of Dane and I at the National History Museum in Dallas, Texas. In January 2011. We really liked that museum it had a lot of neat things. One part of the museum had all these flip boards that had a creature and asked how much of their DNA was the same as in Humans. Dane got them all right except one. I was surprised I didn't know any of them.

 I worked outside for a major part of my shift last Saturday at the Football game. Thankfully I was under heated lamps.  Dane works outside all of his shifts.  I don't think my circulation being so poor helps me in anyway. I wonder why that genetic trait persisted. All sides of my family came from pretty cold places. Maybe some are not that cold but still; France, Sweden, Denmark, and Germany. To try to prepare for the cold Dane and I went to a sporting good store that sold Under Armor. We bought some thermals. I wish I had gotten thermals earlier. However, I really don't know how helpful they will be since my body doesn't seem to produce very much heat. (except for at night where my feet are on fire) For my sheep class I got coveralls and I loved them! I wish I could wear them everywhere. I guess I could I would just be embarrassed. They kept me warm.
  I was told before I came to the East that people here aren't as nice as the West. I'm starting to really discover that that is true. So much honking! And just straight out rudeness from folks. There are really nice people here but it seems that the rude ones out number them.
  There are so many people everywhere. Shopping is a nightmare. I hate shopping to begin with but the amount of people here make it ten times worse. It seems when I need things things there is not nearly enough employees to help. I've always hated driving and the driving here is a lot busier.  My nurse told me today that Maryland was voted number one for the worst traffic in the Country. Hopefully I'll come out of this a better driver :)

No comments:

Post a Comment