Thursday, July 23, 2015

Getting to the Orkney Islands

Getting to the Orkney Islands was a major feat. It very far away from a lot of Scotland. A lot of people we talked to had never been to the Orkney Islands even if they lived in Scotland.

We left Oban on a Sunday and so there were not very many buses. We ended up going to the wrong bus stop and saw the bus driver ride right past us. The next bus came 4 hours later. It was rainy and cold and most places were closed on Sunday. A chocolate shop eventually opened up and we went in there and got hot coco and fondue. It was really yummy and warm!


Because we got on a later bus stop it got rid of a lot of time we would have spent in Inverness. It was raining hard in Inverness on a Sunday so I am not sure what we would have been able to do anyways. 
Dane's Aunt convinced me to read Outlander and I wish I had at least gotten through the second book before I went to Scotland there was  lot of history in Scotland that I had no idea before about and I feel really bad.  Had I read it before I would have tried to go to the Culloden Battlefield. We had a short amount of time in that area oh well. 

We then took a bus to Thurso, Scotland. We had a pretty long walk to our hotel in Thurso. Dane got reservations at a hotel right next to the ferry which would take us to the Orkney Islands. The walk was long and cold and I was sad when the hotel didn't have a bath oh well. It was an adventure right. 

Dane really liked Thurso. He felt like he was at the end of the world. 


The next morning we walked more around the shoreline and took in it's beauty and then we took the ferry to the Orkney Islands. 


No comments:

Post a Comment