Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Thoughts about Maryland

Right now I can't give too much of an accurate statement about my feelings of Maryland. I have been very busy. Finding an apartment here and then dealing with all the paperwork has been a challenge.  There has definitely not been any time to visit sites.  Living here is a lot more expensive than Utah in every way. Housing, gas, food etc.
 Right before we were ready to head to Maryland I kept having thoughts that this was the stupidest decision ever. I don't like big cities I have always known I have wanted to live in a smaller town or more in the country and yet we go to a very crowded State. We're not moving because Dane and I found better jobs. We're moving basically because it is different and the University of Maryland is supposed to be a good school and Dane's family was moving here and brought up the opportunity for me to go to UMD. 
   Dane also said there should be more opportunities for jobs which right now has seemed the case. Dane joked it was because Maryland people like us better than Utah people. I laugh because it is true Dane and I have both found jobs even if both of us have had countless applications and interviews in Utah to no avail. It's not true that Maryland people like us we just have more connections here. 
   I never realized how much I loved the grid system in Utah. When you wanted to go anywhere you would get on I-15 and go North or South and then West or East. Here all the cities are a circle around DC. So when saying you are going to a city you can't ever say go North. There are so many roads here and you keep having to get off ones to get on others. I don't like driving so don't like that. The trees are very beautiful here though. It always seems like you are surrounded by forests and there are some very beautiful cornfields at least I think so when the sun hits them just right they are to die for. I just like nature even if corn is planted by humans it's a plant and not a road. 
  Our apartment's patio faces right into a forest  it is very beautiful. It also means lots of bugs in our apartment though we live on the bottom floor  easy for the bugs.  I will post pictures when I can just don't know when that will be. Gary's apartment has the internet but ours we need to install it in our apartment. We called a internet company and apparently all the installers for all companies are on strike! Dane and I need internet. I need to write  a sheep paper :( 
  Right now we don't have any furniture. We ordered a bed and it should come on friday. The Crowtons' Townhouse will be done in September their stuff will be shipped here. They gave us some furniture they weren't going to use. So in September we will have a couch with a pull out bed, a dinner table, book shelves, and a dresser. I am very grateful that we were offered that furniture. Dane and I don't have any money. There are no DI's in the East :) Dane did say Salvation Army should be here but I don't know where it is. 
  I think my left eye is finally healed of pink eye but now my right eye has it! I am almost out of eye drops. It's so weird wikipedia says you should only have to take the eye drops for three days. That hasn't been the case for me at all. Also no one else has had it. Which doesn't make any sense to me. I've always heard pink eye is extremely contagious. When I worked at Provo Care if a resident had pink eye they would always warn us to be very careful because of how contagious it is. I never got it there. I thought I had a good immune system :) My contacts irritate my eyes but my glasses have disappeared out of the blue. I have no idea where they are. It is the worse time not to have them.
   I am pretty happy with our apartment it is in a pretty safe neighborhood. It has a dishwasher, a washer and dryer and air condition :) It is neat to see one of the first places that our country started. It's hard to imagine that they walked on these grounds. Utah is so far away on the continent that it took a while for explorers to find it. Dane and I found a salamander in our house today. I was not very happy about that I think a lot of crawly things will be able to get into our house.  But as Dane pointed out they do eat bugs so actually it's probably a good thing one likes to hang around our house. The stars are really hard to see in Maryland :(

1 comment:

  1. Pink eye SUCKS. I've had it and it's uber lame. I can't wait to see the pictures. And yea, the bugs I'm sure are quite nasty...yuck. Glad you guys have a place and jobs though! That is awesome. :) It's so cute that you guys don't have that much furniture. ^_^ Get to start a new life together!!! woo!!! Not stupid, adventurous ;)

    ReplyDelete